Tags I am associated with:

Tags I am associated with: Microsoft SQL Server, IBM Cognos BI and Planning, Deltek Costpoint, Deltek Time & Expense, Magento, Intuit QuickBooks, Visual Basic 6, SSIS, Oracle, SQL development, data warehouse, reporting, eCommerce, accounting, finance, ETL

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

xcopy - Insufficient memory error

Today, noticed errors were occurring with some of my backup xcopy jobs. When I run the xcopy command via command line, it had something like this at the end of it:

.
.
.
Insufficient memory
376 File(s) copied

C:\>

I did a bit of research and realized that the cause was that some of the filenames in folders to be xcopied had really long names. And coupled with the long path, they were exceeding 254 characters in length. This is a Windows 2003 server, so I downloaded and installed the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17657) to use the robocopy.exe along with the /MIR (mirroring switch) .

Now the job runs smoothly without the 254 limitations in path plus filename string .

No comments:

Post a Comment